I enjoy this granola over my favourite yogurt, with some fresh berries on top. It’s easy to make, and super yummy. Throw it into a mason jar, and it’s also a great gift idea!
8 cups oatmeal (I use gluten free, thick cut rolled oats)
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup of sesame seeds (or 3/4 cup of flax seeds, or 1 cup wheat germ)
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1 cup crunchy nuggets (I use Grape Nuts or Bran Buds, but there are other healthy choices)
2 TBS vanilla extract
1 cup of coconut oil
1/2 TBS cinnamon
1/2 TBS nutmeg
1 cup honey
Optional: 1 cup raisins/dates/dried cranberries/dried cherries/dried blueberries (add them after baking)
1. Preheat over 300 degrees: shelves on the middle racks.
2. Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
3. Combine all dry ingredients (BUT NOT the dried fruit) in a very large bowl mix well.
4. In smaller bowl: add honey, oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla and mix well (I use a whisk).
5. Pour wet ingredients into the dry (I do this in stages).
6. Mix well and spread out on the baking sheets.
7. Bake for 30-36 minutes (be careful because the bottom can burn without you knowing).
8. LET COOL COMPLETELY (this is very important for chunky granola).
9. Place into a very large bowl or freezer bag/container and break the granola up into the consistency you want.
10. Add raisins (or the like), and VOILA you are done.
11. Place in large zip lock bags or airtight container.
PRO TIP: Store it in the freezer to keep the crunch!