Happy New Year to all of you lovelies! 🥂
I had a few people approach me at our NYE party last night for some pre-emptive advice on how to cure hangovers. I suggested they stop drinking, but you can imagine how well that went over. I am a total buzz kill, aren’t I?? 😜
Soooooo, next on my list of ideas are some of these fave hangover-kicking tips!
1. HYDRATE: Alcohol dehydrates the body. Drink between 2-3 liters of water. Coconut water is high in electrolytes, or you can simply add a pinch of sea salt and lemon juice to your water too to alkalize. Green juices are high in minerals and electrolytes, and ginger tea is good for nausea.
2. TAKE YOUR Bs: Alcohol depletes vitamins in the body. Liver detox relies on the B vitamins to detox effectively. Take 1-2 B Complex vitamins daily after drinking. (Magnesium can also help with any headaches you might have!).
3. EAT BEFORE YOU DRINK: Make sure your stomach is lined with food, which allows alcohol to be absorbed at a slower pace. Consider slow releasing carbohydrates such as brown rice, sweet potato and quinoa. Avoid caffeine, it further overloads your liver, and can make you feel worse.
4. EAT WELL AFTER: Most people think a hangover is a good excuse to grease it up with burgers and fries. Nope! This will make you feel worse. Enjoy your protein and good fats: eggs, avocado and spinach are fabulous breakfast choices. Bananas are loaded with potassium and magnesium, two of things that the body loses when drinking alcohol. Potassium will help reduce the feelings of nausea and tiredness.
5. SWEAT IT OUT: Exercise stimulates the lymphatic system to excrete toxins and gets the blood flowing. Yoga is also amazing for hangovers.
6. SUPPORT YOUR LOVELY LIVER: You should drink lemon water every day (20 mins before food), but especially after a night of drinking! Lemon water and apple cider vinegar are great for liver detox (add ½ tsp. of turmeric!). Dandelion root (with or without Milk Thistle) in tea or supplement form are also great liver supports.
And if all else fails……according to Irish folklore, it was said that the cure for a hangover was to bury the ailing person up to the neck in moist river sand. 😃