Last week, it was my turn to host book club, and I decided to try a new recipe. Normally I like to test out recipes before serving them to guests - but these girls are like family, so I went for it!
I am pleased to say that the girls loved it! Phewf! One rated it 20/10 (that must be good, right??).
One suggested that if you love the crumble part the most, you could make more of the “topping” part. Pro tip for ya!
Gluten free, naturally sweetened, can be made vegan – and is super easy to make. I served it fresh from the oven with some vanilla ice cream. I suggest Coconut Bliss dairy-free ice cream!
Thank you to the brave souls who were courageous enough to try this new recipe for me. You know who you are.
For the topping:
• 1/3 cup almond flour
• 1/2 cup old fashioned gluten free rolled oats
• 1/3 cup coconut sugar
• 1/2 raw chopped pecans
• 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup cold butter cut into very small cubes (can sub vegan buttery stick or coconut oil)
For the crisp:
• 5-6 medium Honeycrisp or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced
• 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• pinch of nutmeg
• 1 tablespoon bourbon (or pure vanilla extract)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease an 8x8 baking pan.
2. To make the topping: Combine the flour, oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon and pecans until well-combined. Add in the pieces of butter and use your hands to squeeze and combine until the mixture becomes crumbly and resembles wet sand.
3. Once finished, place topping in the fridge.
4. To make the filling: Place apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and bourbon (or vanilla) in a large bowl and toss to combine. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
5. Take 1/3 cup of the topping mixture and toss with the apple mixture. Place the apple mixture in prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with topping.
6. Bake the crisp on a baking sheet (in case the filling bubbles over!) for 45-55 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling. Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm with your favourite vanilla ice cream.