Eaten as an oatmeal bake, or “on-the-go” bars, this recipe is delicious and bursting with bright lemon-y and blueberry flavours! These are the perfect breakfast or snack to meal prep and take with you! (dairy-free, gluten free)
· 2 eggs
· ⅓ cup pure maple syrup (or sub honey)
· Zest from 1 lemon
· ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
· 2 tablespoons melted butter, vegan butter or melted and cooled coconut oil
· 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or dairy free milk of choice)
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· ¼ teaspoon almond extract
· 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not the thick cut ones)
· 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
· 1 teaspoon baking powder
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 1 cup blueberries (frozen works!)
Lemon yogurt topping:
· 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
· 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (or you can sub 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup or honey)
· 1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, to thin
· ½ teaspoon lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9x9 inch pan or 11x7 with oil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pure maple syrup, lemon zest, lemon juice, melted butter, almond milk and both vanilla and almond extracts until well combined.
3. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients: oats, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined, then fold in the blueberries.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth top. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden brown and center is set. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes, while you make the lemon yogurt topping.
5. To make the lemon yogurt drizzle: in a small bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and zest; mix to combine. Add more lemon juice if necessary to thin it out so you can drizzle it over the top of the oatmeal. Drizzle over the top of the oatmeal, cut into 6 slices and serve!
Note: If you want to make this oatmeal slightly less sweet, feel free to use 1/4 cup maple syrup (instead of 1/3 cup) and skip the lemon yogurt drizzle.