Not only are they yummy, healthy, and easy to make… they are loaded with fiber, zinc, folate and protein!
1 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained and very well drained + thoroughly dried)
1 Tbsp avocado or other neutral oil (if avoiding oil, omit and don’t rinse chickpeas out of the can – just drain)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp seasonings of choice (even just some chili powder works well!)
See below for a yummy (optional) DIY Spice Blend I used. 😋
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and set out a bare baking sheet.
2. Drain chickpeas well. If using oil, rinse well with water and thoroughly drain. If omitting oil, simply drain well and skip rinsing with water.
3. Once drained well, spread the chickpeas out on a clean, absorbent towel and use your hands to gently roll and dry the chickpeas. Some of the skins should start coming off. You can opt to peel all of the chickpeas – which can help for extra crispiness! – or simply remove the skins that come off. Either way, the chickpeas will crisp up. I just found that peeling them does yield slightly crispier chickpeas.
4. Transfer the chickpeas to a mixing bowl and top with oil (or omit) and salt. Mix well to combine. DO NOT add the other seasoning at this point – it can interrupt the crisping process, so wait to add until after baking.
5. Bake for a total of 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and dry/crispy to the touch. I like turning my pan around and shaking the chickpeas around at the halfway point for even cooking.
6. Remove from oven and toss with seasonings (if desired) while still warm. Then let cool 5-10 minutes – they will continue crisping as they cool.
7. Serve as is or on top of salads! To store, place in a storage container or jar and DO NOT tightly cover. Instead, crack lid so they can “breathe” a bit. I found that this helped them stay crispy longer. These are best in the first day, but they will last for 4-5 days at room temperature. Alternatively, seal well and freeze up to 1 month.
DIY Spice Blend (optional)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom (or cloves)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (or 1/2 tsp ground black pepper)
Instructions: Add all spices to a small jar and shake or stir to combine. Will keep at room temperature for several months.