I am addicted to this side dish!! It’s yummy, easy to make, and packed with healthy ingredients. Granted it would be even without cheese, but I really love parmesan cheese, so…!
I have experimented using asparagus, cauliflower, and Brussel sprouts – and this recipe works well with all of them, too!
Some of the health benefits include (but are not limited to):
➢ BROCCOLI is a great source of vitamins K and C, a good source of folate and provides potassium, fiber. Did you know that a 1/2 cup of these cooked greens will give you as much calcium as one glass of milk (& is much more easily digested than milk)?!
➢ GARLIC can boost immunity; work as an anti-inflammatory; improve cardiovascular health; and give you better hair & skin.
➢ Extra virgin OLIVE OIL is incredibly healthy! Due to its powerful antioxidants, it benefits your heart, brain, joints and more. When it comes to heart health, it reduces blood pressure and inflammation, protects LDL particles from oxidation, and may help prevent unwanted blood clotting.
➢ GARLIC are a rich source of vitamin C and possess immense health benefits ranging from its antibacterial and antiviral properties to its immune boosting abilities. Lemon juice also acts as a digestive and a detoxifying agent and helps in cleaning the liver leading to better digestive health.
• 1 1/2 pounds (680g) broccoli, cut into florets
• 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Juice from half a lemon, about 1 Tbsp
• Himalayan or Kosher Salt
• 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. In a large bowl toss the broccoli florets and minced garlic with olive oil and lemon juice until lightly coated. Sprinkle salt over the broccoli and toss.
3. Arrange the florets in a single layer on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
4. Roast for 16-20 minutes until cooked through and lightly browned.
5. Put the roasted broccoli back in the bowl and toss with lots of freshly ground black pepper and grated parmesan cheese.
6. Serve immediately.